Monday 10 November 2014

Remembrance

I arrived eleven minutes late to the shrine.


The guns already fired, with poppy wearing figures making a slow return across the Yarra.


When the first shot fired I was  half across a bridge. I'd stopped over a railway line and took off my cycle helmet in awkward reverence, ignoring the endless rattle of the city.


A man near by stopped and looked at his watch, to check his silent pause was on the dot.


I've had less than half an hour of minutes in my life to remember.


As a child it's explained, but now it's understood. Almost.


I arrive and sit on grass near by as a brass band plays 'Waltzing Matilda', somehow somberly.


A smile creeps across my face.


Fast jets shoot by, flaring smoky promises to founding future shrines.


As the jet trails fade, I queue to enter the inner sanctum.


At midday, on the eleventh day of the eleventh month the sun shines on the word 'love', to help us remember.


I hope I can remember this for more than an hour.





No comments:

Post a Comment